Call Us On
02920 520 520

Landlord Checklist

Free Instant Online Valuation


  • If there is a mortgage on the property, inform your mortgage lender & obtain written permission to let


  • For Leasehold properties, inform the head leaser & obtain written permission to let


  • Complete & return signed copy of the Cardiff Estates & Lettings Management/Let Only Agreement, together with proof of ownership/permission to let from the mortgage lender and head leaser, if required Request a Copy


  • Arrange an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property More Info


  • Apply for a HMO license for a property classified as a House in Multiple Occupation More Info


  • Arrange for all regular payments to be made (e.g. mortgage, site management fees, insurance etc)


  • Check that you are fully covered to let your property with Buildings & Contents Insurance  Action this point


  • Arrange for a safety check to be carried out on all gas appliances & provide a current Gas Safety Certificate for the property More Info


  • Arrange for a safety check to be carried out on all electrical appliances/equipment & provide a current Electrical Safety Certificate for the property More Info


  • Test all smoke detectors within the property More Info


  • Check that all furniture & furnishings comply with the Fire Safety Regulations More Info


  • Inform the local council of your date of departure and your forwarding address


  • Make necessary arrangements for the redirection of post


  • Notify all utility companies that you are leaving - close accounts & provide them with a forwarding address


  • Ensure that the property has been thoroughly cleaned & in order More Info


  • Turn off fridges/freezers & leave doors open


  • Provide Cardiff Estates & Lettings with a full set of master keys including fobs & key codes


  • Leave ancillary keys & any information/operating instructions for appliances on the kitchen worktop


  • For Let Only Agreements register with a Deposit Protection Scheme More Info


If you are going to live abroad:

  • Make arrangements with an accountant to deal with your tax affairs


  • Apply for an Overseas Landlord Tax Exemption Certificate More Info